Wednesday, November 10, 2010

OCD runs in families

I know from my own experience and from reading that OCD is genetic.
My dad, sister an niece have it. My sister just started having more symptoms of it.
I always wondered about my son who is now 12. He sometimes had little "habits" that made me think about him having it and hoping not.
Lately, signs have been more apparent. He has had  habits but I'm now wondering if they actually are tics which are associated with OCD. He has in the past had continuous throat clearing and sniffing. It will last for a few months and then go away. He now has started stretching his neck which is quite obvious. It is particularly worse when he is at basketball pactice. My husband told me last night at practice it was bad and he was shrugging and stretching his neck and getting very distracted. My son is on the top competitive team for his age in our town. I really don't know what to do. He doesn't talk about it or say why he does it. I asked him if he fells like he has to and he just says he's stretching or doesn't really say anything. It drives my husband crazy and he tells him to quit it or mocks him I told him I don't think he can help it.

2 comments:

  1. I have OCD and mild bipolar, my brother and sister both have ADD. Both my parents have mood disorders as well, so I was destined to have something!I understand you worrying about your son. I have five children and I am always watching for signs in them. So far only my 6 year old is the only one with any issues and he does take meds for OCD. He was having a lot of fear, anxiety, checking and obsessing issues. Good luck with your son, hopefully it's not OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope for your son's sake that he doesn't take his father's mocking too seriously. Poor kid - here's hoping he missed the OCD bus.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Vacation